Friday 31 August 2012

Kuopio, Finland

Monday, Aug. 20/12

Up and at the Oulu train station by 9am. I was off to Kuopio, Finland, another 4 hour train. My host, Nana, was waiting for me at the station when I arrived.

Nana is originally from Ghana, Africa. He has been living and studying in Finland for 4 years now.

Nana took me around the city centre. We had a cup of tea at a cute little cafe and went to the shop for some groceries.

Nana cooked me chicken and potatoes for dinner. Then we went back to the centre, where we had a couple beers, played some pool and watched some football (soccer).







Tuesday Aug. 21/12

Nana was up early for school. I slept in a bit and left the house around 1030-11am. I walked to the Puijo tower and hill.



When I got there, I thought there was a lift that takes you to the top.. But when I asked, the guy was like, "it's easy, just walk straight up those steps". So 75 meters of steps later I reached the top of Puijo hill.

Looking down at the stairs I climbed.








Finally at the top of the tower; the view from above.
This tower was built in 1963 and it is the 3rd one built in this spot.




I had a snack and enjoyed the views.

Then met up with Nana in the city.

He helped me find a place where I could get a pedicure. I wanted to get one for myself for my birthday. It was awesome!! Happy Birthday to me!! So shiny and soft!



Nana made a delicious stew for dinner.




Then we headed to the jätkänkämppa sauna for the evening.

A big sauna situated right beside a beautiful lake - looks like this picture could have been taken in Saskatchewan.

We enjoyed the heat and sweat, followed by jumping in the cool refreshing lake. We went back and forth 5 or 6 times. It was so good, fun and relaxing.





Wednesday Aug.22 /12

I ended up staying an extra day. Didn't do too much; it was rainy outside. Just lazed until Nana was home from school then we went to the centre and tried to go to a museum, but it was closed already.

 We headed to the harbour and saw the seaside and boats.

We bought some groceries for dinner.

After we ate, we just stayed in. Played some poker and listened to some good tunes.



No comments:

Post a Comment