Saturday 25 August 2012

Tromsø, Norway Day 3

Sunday Aug. 11/12

Our day off!

We didn't get moving until the afternoon, but Gottfried took me to do everything I came to Tromsø to do.

First thing was the polar museum. This museum tells the stories about the risky Arctic trapping and courageous Polar expeditions of the 1800's. The museum opened in 1978 and is attributed to the men, women, ships and equipment that was essential for life on the sea in the Arctic.



Next we walked over the bridge to the Arctic Cathedral.


Built in 1965, the cathedral is a unique piece of architecture, made of aluminium and concrete. Some call it the opera house, because of it's acoustic structure.













Gottfried took me to a small shop, that serves the best milkshakes.. very rich and tasty.
Then, we went up the fjellheisen (cable car), which took us 421 meters up Mount Storsteinen.


A spectacular view of Tromsø from the top.
We hiked further up to get a good mountain view as well. It was beautiful.


You can see the Vulkana in this picture. It is front of the red and yellow buildings. The red building is the storage house.


There was snow still in some areas which was kind of funny to have the green grass right beside patches of snow.

We spent some time just hanging out and enjoying the air and the view.








Back at the boat, Gottfried cooked me up the most amazing supper. Halibut, cooked perfectly with potatoes and carrots. I have never liked or eaten much fish before, but I have definitely eaten a lot on the Vulkana and it has been soo good!


After we stuffed ourselves full, a friend of Gottfried's, Ellen, joined us.


Thomas and his girlfriend Jimmy (who I met at the poker night) picked us all up and took us to Gottfried's fishing boat.

We did some night sea fishing.. a first for me! The rods were very large and a bit difficult for me to handle. I caught one little cod and everyone else caught huge cod, and plenty of them.

Back at the ship, Ellen, Gottfried and I enjoy the hammam! We sit and sweat and then jump in the sea, sit and sweat and then jump in the sea.. it's such a great feeling. I loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment