Wednesday 29 August 2012

Rovaniemi, Finland Day 2

Friday Aug. 17/12

My birthday :)

Sebastian took me to see the real Santa Claus in the Santa Claus village.

Santa Claus receives millions of letters from people from 198 different countries around the world.
This is what he has collected so far this year.





So to get to Santa, I had to walk through this little exhibit part.

 It explained that Santa Claus is not magic but just a genius. He built a machine that access's the earth core to slow down the time and this is how he gets the presents out to everyone each year.

So I met Santa Claus. We had a chat about my trip, he seemed jolly. He looked real. I don't have a picture with him because they only allow you to buy the professional one for 25 euros.



This is also where the Arctic Circle marker is located.

Each year Rovaniemi has a day with 24 hours of continuous sun and a day with 24 hours of continuous darkness.



After touring around the Santa Claus Village, Sebastian dropped me off at a famous museum called, Arktikum.

There was a lot of information in this museum.
I got the most out of reading about the northern lights.
The Northern Lights occur when electrically charged particles arriving from space bombard the atoms and molecules of the upper atmosphere.The particles come from the solar wind and arrive on the shadow side of the earth. They are guided by the magnetic field of the Earth to enter only the polar regions. The colours in the northern  lights are created by the excitation of oxygen and nitrogen.

The museum had many other exhibits as well. It had information about the life of the Sami people, which I have talked a little about previously.













Back at the apartment, Satu and Sebastian cooked me a great supper and birthday cake!





We ate too much and had some beers.




Then, we went on a little hike, where I could enjoy the views of Rovaniemi.

A great way to spend my birthday :)

2 comments:

  1. The arctic circle picture is great. I like that you are in shorts and flip flops sitting inside the arctic circle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Arctic Circle picture as well! I had to share it with my friends in the states. They thought it was awesome!!

    ReplyDelete