Monday 20 August 2012

Tromsø, Norway

Friday Aug. 9/12
I left early to get to the airport. The plane was quite small and very loud.  An older woman sat beside me and she was so scared.. I was worried she was going to have a heart attack and I'd have to give CPR on the plane! She made it just fine though.


I arrived in Tromsø and took the bus into the center. The bus goes under part of the city through tunnels and in the tunnels there are round abouts and it's multi-directional with intersections.. it was a bit odd. Bergen had tunnels too but it was just straight 2 way traffic.
After the bus stopped in the city, I walked to the building I was told to go to and I called my host, Gottfried. He was on the boat in front of the building. We shook hands and then he explained that he was down a waiter and asked me if I wanted to work tonight.. I was like "uhh sure."


I then learned that Gottfried works and lives on a spa boat. A ship called the Vulkana. It was originally built in 1957, designed as a fishing boat. In 2009, it was redesigned for spa tours;  it can host tour groups up to 12 people (sometimes more).

I put my bag in the building across the boat, which is a large storage area and Gottfried gave me the tour.

I was in charge of keeping the hot tub fire going, the sauna fire going and also the fire place in the basement of the boat, which is called the Zen Lounge. I chopped wood, cleaned the windows and mirrors and stocked the bath robes.

Gottfried was busy preparing the meal.

The guests were arriving at 8pm for a 4 hour, 3 course dinner tour. They were celebrating a stag night. I set the table for 7 men.


I was a bit nervous as I have never served or hosted in my life.

They arrived and boat left it's docking port. Gottfried gave them the tour,  while I ran around ensuring all the fires were stoked. They started their spa experience in the hot tub. I served them beers and they tried to convince me to join them in the hot tub.. luckily I had the excuse that I was working.

The skip - who I was told to call Father, stops the ship in the middle of the arctic sea so the guests can jump in and do some swimming. The water is freezing cold.. but with the hot tub and sauna to warm up in, it's not so bad.
Gottfried cooked an amazing appetiser, meal and dessert. I got to taste and enjoy it all!! I ate reindeer for the first time and it was sooo delicious.. followed by orgasmic chocolate mousse.


I served wine and the food; I cleared the dishes and put them all through the dishwasher.
They were a fun group of men (I would guess 40-45 years old). They got drunk and had a great time. Gottfried and I got tipped, so after they left and we finished cleaning, we went out for some beers.
Then back at the boat, Gottfried and I enjoyed the Turkish hammam - which is like a steam room. It felt so good to relax in. Steam all around then a small cold water bath in the middle to help cool you down. We also jumped into the arctic sea .. which was freezing but refreshing.. and then back to the hammam. It was fabulous!


Saturday Aug. 10/12

Every Saturday there is 2 hour tour for anyone who wants to come try it out. It goes from noon to 2pm and Gottfried cooks gourmet fish soup and makes home made bread.
Same routine though.. keep the fires going, make sure everyone has everything they need. They do the hot tub, the sea swim and sauna, then gather around the table for the meal. It was a bit easier because I didn't have to pre-set the table or anything.. the pot just goes in the middle and everyone digs in. I think there were 14 people on this tour.
After the boat docked and the guests left, we only had 1.5 hours to re-group for another tour. The fires were already going so it was just the cleaning.

The second tour was from 330pm - 6pm. A 2.5 hour tour, also with fish soup and homemade bread.
It was another stag, this time with 11 men. This group a bit younger then the ones on Friday. Maybe in their 30's.
Again ..another drunken good time. One of them got a bit too drunk and as the group was leaving and paying.. he fell down the stairs to where the Zen Lounge and hammam is.. and they are pretty steep steps. Luckily he wasn't hurt at all, just embarrassed. But broke a wine glass on his way .. which I had to clean up after.





After work, Gottfried made us spaghetti carbanara and we had a poker night set up with some of his friends. We played 2 games of poker in the storage building. Neither Gottfried or I won either game though. We went out for a couple beers after and enjoyed the buzzing nightlife of tromso.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like an amazing expierence!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good ole Dash 8, I've flown on those lots of times. Were you near the back? It's way noisier than the front but for some reason the sound just puts me to sleep. I don't think I can stay awake on those planes if I tried.

    Awwww you ate rudolf? lol. Reindeer is the same as caribou so it's possible you've eaten some before.

    Need to talk to Tim, their pontoon boat needs a fire heated hot tub....

    ReplyDelete