Tuesday 7 August 2012

Oslo, Norway Day 3

Saturday Aug. 4/12
Throughout my journey in Oslo, I saw many advertisements and heard a lot about this famous painting, called The Scream by Edvard Munch (picture of his grave in the last post).

The original is housed in the National Gallery, so I started my day there.
The National Gallery was originally founded in 1837; it is one of the largest public collections of paintings, graphic works, drawings and sculptures.



They had many nice paintings to see but the main reason for going was to say that I have seen the famous Scream painting..





And I was very disappointed when I got to the exhibit and it had a "no photography" sign beside it.

The Scream - Edvard Munch


I was a bit pissed actually.. Paid 10 dollars to get in, just to take a picture of the Scream as evidence I had been there.



So being the rebel I am, I snuck one anyway! Oops!
I didn't get caught :)






After my mischievous picture taking, I made my way to the most incredible park, called,
The Vigeland Park. I was so lucky to have such a beautiful hot day.



I only posted this photo, so you can see that both sides of the path had numerous statue's displayed.




This park is the life work of the sculptor, Gustav Vigeland (1869-1943). It has over 200 sculptures in bronze, granite and cast iron.



You can see the beautiful lake in the background.







The sculptures were created to feel very realistic. They are all nude to help portray the evolution of man and to unite the sculpture with nature and symbolize life.





Beautiful flower beds everywhere
And fountains








And children

The kids would just climb up, through, and over all the statue's.. I found it amusing.




I have a better photo of this one --> without the children.




After seeing the many sculptures and taking several pictures. I chose a piece of random grass (there was only 80 acres of it) to lay on. I sunbathed, people watched and just enjoyed the hot summer day!  

4 comments:

  1. Being the rebel you are?!?! Haha do you have any idea whatnorweigen jails are like young lady?!"! Keep your rebellion in check until you come home!,!,! :)
    Or don't.. It's your call!
    Did you know I'm part Norwegian? Haha love you button.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I wasn't a mature adult, I'd giggle at that third last picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You aren't a mature adult so no big deal! lol :)

      Mel - I am glad you got a picture of the famous "scream painting" I have always wanted to see it. Looks so cool!! Glad you are having so much fun! Oh and I giggled at that third last picture. teehee

      Linds

      Delete
    2. cass and i agree if you get the chance, you should go back in time and do the same pose the kid is doing in the third last picture. P-r-i-c-e-l-e-s-s....

      Delete