Sunday 9 September 2012

Savonlinna, Finland

Thursday Aug.23 /12

I took an early train and arrived just before noon in Savonlinna, Finland. I was staying in a hostel there, so I checked in and put my things away. Then it was off to the famous castle.

Savonlinna is a town surrounded by lakes. I walked along the water line to the castle called, Olavinlinna. Built in the 15th century, it is the northernmost medieval stone fortress still standing.  The castle is one of a kind with its thick, circular, towers that can withstand cannon fire.

Olavinlinna was purposely built surrounded by lakes and waterways, to impede Russian access. It survived several sieges by the Russians and in 1639 the town of Savonlinna was chartered.

After a thorough tour of the castle, I headed to the museum because it was included in the admission to the castle. To be honest, I don't really remember what information it had. Just that the lake seal is the animal they are known for. And on the second floor of the museum it had some funky art, which I actually enjoyed. By Soile Yli-Mayryn.




They also had a ship exhibit behind the museum building. So I toured 2 ships.

The Mikko is a steam barge ship built in 1914. This wooden steam boat has a top speed of 6 knots (which I think is only like 11km/hr).


The Steam Schooner Salma was built in 1874 and has a top speed of 7.5 knots.


After touring the ships, I just wondered around town.

Later in the night, I went out to a pub for a couple of beers. Met some nice people to chat with, then called it a night.

No comments:

Post a Comment