Saturday 15 September 2012

Saint Petersburg, Russia

Wednesday Aug. 29/12

The ferry docked at 9am (10 hours ahead of Saskatchewan time). They offered a free shuttle bus to the city centre that I was happy to take. On the bus I met up with 2 guys, one from the US and one from Japan. Sure enough, they were going to the same hostel as me, so we set out to find it together. After walking in a couple circles we found the Cuba Hostel. I stayed in a 10 bed mixed dorm room.


With the limited time, I got settled and went out to start seeing the city. First impression was that it was very old looking. Then you walk around the corner to find this magnificent building.

The Church of the Saviour on Spilled Blood, constructed from 1883-1907.
Built in memory of Alexander II: Ruler of Russia from 1855 until his assassination in 1881.


I continued to walk around the town.. and I got a bit lost. I found it difficult to navigate my way around because my map was in English but the street signs were in Russian.

I stumbled upon the New Michael Palace, which was built from 1857 -1862.

After an afternoon of exploration, I met up with my friend from the US, Trevor. We went out for dinner. Then to a couple pubs where we enjoyed some good Russian beers.


1 comment:

  1. Glad you are feeling better and then your journey has continued! Hope you r really enjoying your travels. Stay safe! P.s. excellent blog so far!

    ReplyDelete