Monday 23 July 2012

Skagen, Denmark


I woke up Sunday morning and packed up my tent and pack. The very generous and nice Norwegians invited me for breakfast before I caught my bus to Frederikshavn.  After the 1 hour bus ride, I needed to take a 35minute train to Skagen. But I missed the first train and had to wait 2 hours for the next one. This was ok because it gave me time to check into the Ferry schedule as I plan to take one to Sweden on Tuesday.
By the time I finally made it Skagen it was after 4pm. I walked about 12 blocks with my pack to where the international hostel was located. All that way to find they have no beds available. So I had my first mini break down of my trip. I walked back about 5 blocks to where I had pasted a motel. They wanted $110 for one night... with no internet access. I was feeling a bit teary at this point, exhausted and frustrated. I walked about 3 more blocks back in the direction of the train station when I saw this:

 Luckily this very nice Danish couple had a room available for an acceptable price. I have the whole basement to myself! With my own kitchen! Happy to have found somewhere to stay, my pack exploded in the room and I went to find a grocery store. Only a few blocks away I bought enough food for 2 suppers, 2 breakfasts and a lunch for the same price as going out for 1 supper. 

Yummy chicken pasta for supper! A travelling classic - made me think of Leah and Cass!


It was already 9pm by the time I had finished eating and cleaned up. So I did some research on the computer and went to bed!












Today I walked the town. I first went to the tourist information where they helped me book my ferry ticket for tomorrow to Sweden. I tried to do it myself last night but I don't understand a single word of Danish, so it didn't go well.  After I got my ferry ticket booked, I walked around the cute little town of Skagen. I went to the Skagen museum not knowing what to expect. Turned out to be an art museum featuring one artist in particular.


They had an audio set in English so I could hear the history and thinking behind some of the paintings. I am not very artsy but it was genuinely interesting.









A couple of my favourites! I bought a deck of playing cards that has a picture of one of his paintings on each card.













Then I came to the water tower. I climbed up it to get a great view of Skagen.






All of the houses are yellow with red brick roofs.








I walked back to my room and fixed myself a salad. I ate my salad and had a beer in the beautiful back yard!

So the neat thing about Skagen is that it is at the very northern tip of Denmark and at that very tip is where 2 different sea's meet and the it is the only spot where the waves crash opposite each other. So you are standing in the Western Skagerrak sea and the Eastern Kattegat sea at the same time.
I am standing at the very tip looking back on the beach. I think this picture best shows how the 2 sea's come together. 



As you can see the sun was hiding for most of the day and it was quite windy but all the walking kept me quite warm!








I had a blast playing in the sand. It was so soft. I thought of Leah.. she would have been rolling in it LOL.








A 5km walk there and back. Plus the morning walking.. I think I did close to 20km of walking today. I came home and had chicken pasta leftovers, followed by a short nap!

Tomorrow I am off to Goteborg, Sweden via ferry. I will arrive there around 6pm my time (10am Saskatchewan time).  

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you found somewhere to stay. I had one of those breakdowns once but it was no where near as exotic, it was in rapid city, SD. After a long day of traveling its easy to get frustrated. Love the picture of the town with all the yellow houses with red roofs, it looks like a model or a toy town.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All those step classes payin off with all te things your hiking up, hey? Ah the breakdowns, so necessary for good travel sometimes! Miss ya!

    ReplyDelete