Thursday 19 July 2012

Copenhagen, Denmark Day 3

First off, I had to organise my train to Aalborg for tomorrow morning. So I went to the central station and bought a ticket. It leaves at 10:50 tomorrow morning.

I then got on a bus and went to Christiansborg area of town. I went to the Thorvaldsens Museum first. Bertel Thorvaldsen (1770-1844) a famous Danish sculptor donated his collections to Copenhagen. He was buried at the centre of the museum with all of his sculptures and art work displayed around him.
He did incredible work.. Breathtaking marble sculptures.. I feel like the pictures hardly do justice!



This is one of my favourite museums so far!

Right across from it is Christiansborg Palace. It has burnt down and been rebuilt twice (in the 17 & 1800's).  It currently houses the Parliament, the Royal Reception Rooms used by the Queen, the Prime Minister's Office and the Supreme Court.  The chandeliers caught my eye.. they are gorgeous!





I am going to make you look back to Day 2, at the very last picture of the the Church of Our Saviour. I decided to climb up that today.  400 stairs up! The church part was built from 1682 - 1696. And the spire in 1749 - 1752.
The view from the top!


I tried to take pictures of the Bell and the mechanics part of the bell but they didn't turn out very good. It was a steep climb, but the view was worth it! Of course as soon I reached the very top.. the highest step I could climb.. It started to down pour rain!

I went to the National Museum next but I had a stomach ache (possible from drinking some questionable tap water.. maybe the hotdog) so I didn't spend much time there.
I went back to the hostel and had a nap! Feeling much better now :)
Tomorrow I am off to Aalborg, Denmark. A 4 hour train ride that goes through a tunnel in the ocean!

No comments:

Post a Comment