Tuesday 17 July 2012

Copenhagen, Denmark Day 1

I flew from London this morning and arrived in Copenhagen around 930am. I bought myself a Copenhagen card which provides me with transit and admission into various attractions, sites and museums.  This was a good deal. I think it has saved me money already. It doesn't cover beer though and when I ordered one today, I almost peed myself when she told me it was 55Dkk (10 dollars)! Luckily I just ordered one.

Anyway, I got to the central station and put my backpack in a storage locker. I consulted a map but ended up just walking around. I went into an older looking building that I thought was a museum, but I learned that it is the Jens Olsens mechanical astronomical clock building (first picture).
After I found the exit, I ended up going to the famous Tivoli gardens (free admission for me). It is an amusement park, but I didn't go on any rides today. I just enjoyed the beautiful greenery and flowers and wondered around taking in the atmosphere...and ate some very rich ice cream(pictures2,3,4 & 5). After exploring that, I went to a cafe with wifi and had that expensive beer.
 I decided to stay in a city public hostel. Only 9 blocks from the central station where my bag was.  I am in a dorm room with 65 other beds in it. Mixed gender and ages. I am on the top bunk (last 2 pictures).
There is a kitchen and a great common area with wifi. It's costing me $22 per night (which is cheap for here).






Another day of site seeing to come tomorrow! (Denmark is 8 hours ahead of Saskatchewan)

2 comments:

  1. I'm quite sure that Jens Astronomical clock is in Copenhagen's city hall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah .. that would make sense. I was probably in City Hall then. I just couldn't figure out what building it was!

    ReplyDelete