Wednesday 17 October 2012

Riga, Latvia

Tuesday, September 4/12
Took the bus from Tallinn in the morning. 4.5 hours later I arrived in Riga.

I found my way to the old town and walked around, checking out the sites.

This is the House of the Blackheads. Originally built in the 14th century. Bombed by Germans in 1941 and demolished by the Soviets in 1948. Reconstructed in 1995.


I met up with my host, Walter and we went out for some dinner and a beer.
Walter lives about 20 minutes away from the city centre by tram. We made our way back to his place and I got settled. He lives in a very old house.


That evening we went on a bicycle ride to the sea. It took about 30mins biking to get there. It was beautiful. We enjoyed another beer, the sea and the sunset.









Wednesday, September 5/12

Woke up with a fever, chills and a sore throat. Managed to shower but didn't have much energy to do anything else. I ended up sleeping until 2pm then decided I should head into the town.
I took the 6pm bus to Vilnius, Lithuania. My friend Tomas (I met in Tromso, Norway) was in Lithuania on business. He picked me up from the bus station at 1030pm. I had warned him I woke up with a fever and after taking my temperature at 39.6 degrees, Tomas took me to the emergency room.
I had an abscess on my lower back, which the doctor cut open and inserted a drain into. I had blood tests and was fully checked over. I started on a 7 day course of antibiotics.

2 comments:

  1. I am quite sure this is the least dramatic summary of a trip to the emergency room i have ever heard. - leah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to keep it light. It was so long ago I didn't want to worry anyone with a big dramatic story.

    ReplyDelete